28 January 2009

Design Manifesto

Design to me as always been about creating something sculptural that attracts the people to it in some way and encourages thought. Much of my design also incorporates a playful use of light. My design attempts to evoke an emotion through its features, these emotions vary depending greatly on what aspect the design is observed. By using light I want to use it to create different effects, which can be reflected upon and are never quite the same. This way the design is constantly changing and constantly creating new emotions for people to experience. Through repetition I create a sense of uniformity but by adding minor differences to each they each gain individuality to better reflect the diversity of the world in which we inhabit. Whether or not my design succeeds is left to the individual but as of now this is what I pursue when I design.

-Kevin Lahti 28/01/2009

Inspiration:
Tadao Ando: Architect
Creates monumental buildings and sculpts the spaces within them and also uses light to emphasize areas. Few erroneous details, all things serve a purpose either aesthetically or structurally, no one element may be removed and have the same emotion left.

Jonathan Ive: designer of the ipod
Elegant sculpture that maintains function in all aspects, nothing erroneous. A uniform device that is individualized by the user. Not well known but product is used everywhere and is one of the most recognizable items in the world.

No comments: