06 February 2008

Working With Wood





So recently in studio we worked with a single 18" piece of 2x4 to create a system. I didnt really enjoy this in the end as I felt like I had gotten hung up on system because I kept thinking of like a system in physics where balance can be achieved through counter weights which is ultimately how my project was destined to end up. I wanted it to appear that the heavy top piece was actually being supported by a very thin and off center support which required very careful distribution of weight. Actually getting it balanced took a little while to figure out. Ultimately it was fun working with wood and I'm a little sad that we had to stop because I was really enjoying it.

This project was difficult and although I was not totally happy with the result I'm not completely against it either I think it succeeds in some ways but could be improved in others

No comments: