03 October 2007

A Container for A Memory



Last week we finished a project in which we designed a place to hold a memory. It could be happy or sad or anything, just a memory we had. I decided to do the following:

"In the autumn of last year my boy friend Wesley and I piled into a car for what I thought would be one of the most horrific experiences of my life. We were on our way to my families Thanksgiving weekend. Normally I do not have to worry about what my family thinks but something this big was something new for everyone. Never before had I brought my boyfriend to really meet the larger extent of my family, and a large portion of my family was not aware that I am gay. So the whole way up there and for a long time before guests even began to arrive I was nothing more than a nervous wreck. I was stressed any emotions were entirely out of sync. I thought I would die and that my family would hate me. I think Wesley understood what I was going through because he came to me and just held me long enough for me to realize that all that mattered was what he and I thought, for better or for worse we were happy. At that moment all the stress and emotional problems I had felt just seemed insignificant and melted away from me. Needless to say the weekend went very well, I had panicked for no reason but I left it with a new understanding of our relationship."





This memory was very important enough to me that I wanted to find a way to show it in my container. I wanted something layered that really showed how over time my emotions changed to the calming feeling, which is also why the colors go from solid black to a solid white. As someone told me, "It's like an onion" The Sharp angles were also intentional because I wanted to show how difficult it is for me to open up so I wanted an imposing shape that looked sharp, the Triangles really gave it that effect as well as making a unique way for it to stand.




My original prototype really seems radically different at least to me, this is largely due to the fact that it could close. I removed that from my final design because I didn't really see how it related to what I was trying to convey. So I removed it and made each piece separately.

-Cheers!

No comments: