06 December 2007

Buildings

I have recently found a number of buildings which have both sparked love and hate in their design.

First up on this list will be the Mannheimer Versicherung Insurance Company Corporate Headquarters located in Mannheim Germany

I like the design as it did not require the destruction of the existing structure and is actually an addition. Designed by Murphy/Jahn what I especially like about the building is how the new and old contrast each other so much that they seem to actually work together. the original is very solid and almost typical of architecture while the new addition is almost entirely made of glass and therefore seems to take the older structure and give it new character. This new addition continues the glassy bubble even on the interior as many of the walk ways are glass as well and light moves freely throughout the space.


Architectural Record: January 2007

Next up on my hit list is something in the United States no less and actually a school.


North Central Junior High is attempting to educate students and do more for the environment. Located in North Liberty Iowa and designed by Urbahn Architects the building it self has been designed to light as much of the school as possible using natural lighting. An East facing wall of the school curves to ensure the maximum amount of light can enter the large windows in the class rooms.Architectural Record: July 2007

Now a piece I loathe. Rag Flats in Philadelphia is an eye sore its geometric patterns and colors really only make me wonder who would want to live there. I can understand that maybe its popular to do it this way, but I really just do not care for it. It makes me think someone took apart a bunch of buildings and then took those pieces and began to reassemble the final building. It was designed by the company Onion Flats.


Architectural Record: February 2006

Another Housing Project only this time in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


This massive structure towers above the local city and is a "mixed use residential structure". What I find to be the most fascinating about the structure is instead of keeping the same cookie cutter pattern for both the interior and exterior at the top the building takes a radical change from the structure beneath it to its stunning crown made up of gold colored plating add a nice effect to the top which helps it blend in yet stand out in the Melbourne city scape.

Architectural Record: August 2007


This next residential structure really impresses me not only for its interesting design but also for the simple fact of where it is. The Christ Church Tower in London, has managed to fit a 2500 square foot home into the building built in 1666. I think I'm just really impressed that the structure has been brought into the modern world when it was built nearly half a century ago.

Architectural Record: April 2007

Moving out of the residential field we come to Fresno california where the city has just built a new Courthouse. I like the building since it really fits into its environment, a goal the architects had in mind when they built the structure. I also love the windows, I love good use of glass in a structure and this one really has what I like, large windows that let in alot of natural light and light up the building at night.

Architectural Record: November 2006

Next Stop china for a sports arena, I do not believe it is one of the olympic stadiums as this paticular sports complexes is in Nanjing china. It was however designed for the Chinese National Games in 2005. I really just love the shape of this one, I keep thinking if Ferrari had gone into architecture it would look something like this, maybe its just the color choice, either way the design is a fantastic one something I'd like to see more.

Architectural Record: June 2006

Moving on to 122 Leadenhall Street, in London. This building which has not yet been completed (early 2008) is quite frankly a building I have been drooling over since I read it in Architectural Review last May just before finals. I just love the shape of it, especially due to its proximity to the other unique sky scrapers that make up London's skyline.


Architectural Review: April 2007

this next home in Baton Rogue I do not particularly care for, in fact I really only feel like it redeems itself because of the benefit it provides for the neighborhood it is in. Because of its shape the building actually reduces the noise pollution caused by the road. I really don't like how the building looks with the plants growing up its sides and such.


Dwell: March 2007

If it hasn't been made clear I love the blending of old with new. And as such when I saw this in
Dwell Magazine I had to talk about it, in an area that was once a seedy neighbor hood in Wellington New Zealand. I really just like that these homes were built on the top of a warehouse from 1908 and that due in some small part to them the neighborhood has improved and the area is beginning to thrive.

Dwell: Dec/Jan 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.