20 September 2007

Pencil Box





A project just completed recently was a project to design a pencil box, our materials were matte board as well as glues and adhesives. Sounds funny I know but suprisingly previous projects have banned the use of glues and such. This project I really just wanted a simple box nothing really special, in fact the only real thing that I knew I really wanted was a window to view what pencils were where in the box because there is nothing more annoying than thinking you've grabbed your HB when in fact you grabbed a 3H pencil, alright maybe not the worst but it is a hassle. Many people have noted that my matte board is both black and white and I am here to say that, that was intentional. I felt having it be all black was a bit bad, where as with the white it gave the box and outline and really a sign that it existed in the world. The lid is a unique feature of it as well as I chose this area to be the only part of the box with a pattern. I felt that with all the other parts having the white outline the actual lid was a bit neglected so I added the pattern. You also will note that the lid has one stripe thinner than the others this too was intentional. I wanted the lines to get larger further down almost providing the user where the end of it was, while giving the lid a little detail that it really lacked. It has certainly come a long way from my first iteration where the top of the box was very unstable and was relatively with out details.

- Cheers!

No comments: