01 April 2008

Furniture aka I may as well be a catalog for IKEA

So with our first experiements with assignments in color I must say, I am excited. Despite my little episode about my perspective flat. I am happy to say that I was very happy with the furnishings I drew. especially this first one here, the lovely bed done with water colors. For my first experience with water colors I think it turned out pretty well although I forgot about leaving white space to show where their was a lot of white, sorry susanne.

Next I did 2 chairs, one of which I chose specifically because it was called Patrik and I was reminded of our own professor Patrick, odd that I draw that conclusion. I like this one, done with makers on marker paper. I used warm grays on the shadows and think that it shows really good contrast on the cushions not exposed to a lot of light. And the shadow gradients over time to the full light hitting the seat which I really think makes it all the better.

Below it sits another chair this time a wooden chair done with colored pencil on bond paper. This one I'm not to happy with just because I see how much I do not like colored pencils, while they do show texture well its very difficult to show contrast. Perhaps I should have gone over it with gray scale markers first but again, I'm a forgetful person but now I'll be remembering these errors and correcting them.
On this final page we have a sofa and you guessed it a chair. The sofa is marker on ink paper. I think this is my worst of all 5 drawings because the ink paper did not really absorb the marker as it has no tooth and thusly made it quite difficult to get a nice even coat on, then areas that I went back over to try and make it even appear to contrasted. I do like that the paper is heavy and thick but it lacks the tooth I think it needs for me to find it useful. Further experiments will be required.

My final Drawing is of course the lovely brown leather chair. This was actually the first sketch I did for this assignment hence its very boxy nature. I think it turned out quite good too good contrast, the light I think is very clear, the white colored pencil really worked some kind of magic on it. My only complaint is the shadow underneath which I think I did way to heavy, I accidentally used my warm gray number 3 when I did the follow up to show where it was getting darker, beginners mistake and nothing more.

On a final note, I think they turned out right good for a real first attempt at using color. Can't wait to work with colors more as we advance to the end of the term. Now that I've used them its like a whole new world has been opened up to me.

No comments: